Wednesday, April 27, 2005

 

A black-and-white world

My psych instructor's tendency to oversimplify things has raised its ugly head again. But maybe it's just me. I am, after all, a soc major taking a psych class on individual differences; of course I disagree with many of the quasi-deterministic inferences he draws from the material. We were talking about a study that classified toddlers into three categories of personality: the anti-social kind, the abnormally introverted kind, and the well-adjusted (normal) kind, and tracked their psychological development and life events into their early 20's. At the end of the discussion, he gave us this:

The Two-Shit Model of Personality
People who internalize problems (inhibited) eat shit.
People who externalize problems (anti-social) throw shit.


I mean, are you kidding me? And what does the well-adjusted majority of the population do, organize shit into files and folders??

Unbelievable.

Comments:
does this really happen? -- priya
 
Ohhhhhh, you should see this guy. The student-to-faculty ratio dramatically declines after he administers the mandatory weekly quiz. The last two times he hollered, "No one leaves until everybody's done taking the quiz!" I feel kinda bad for him.
 
Hey Munazza! So I'm officially addicted to your blog...you're so frickin' hilarious!
-Steph
(Oh by the way, you think you're sociology major is bad? Don't try and gain sympathy from me...an ENGLISH major, for crying out loud. They'll have an entire block in Minneapolis with carboard box shelters for us.)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?