Monday, April 11, 2005

 

Would you like fries with that?

I got an internship with the Red Cross writing grant proposals for their local disaster relief work. It took two interviews and three references. I really don't see why they needed all that. First, it's not a paid position. Secondly, I didn't demonstrate any astounding qualities at either interview. For all I know, they would've taken anyone who didn't appear to have an anti-social personality disorder or a criminal record, because there just aren't that many applicants for unpaid internships.

Interviews are weird, though. "Describe yourself in three words." Hmm, let's see, Lazy, Opinionated, Lazy. And then there's the question about your weaknesses. All those books that tell you to package a strength as a weakness are out of date. I mean, you really think they'll see "I'm a perfectionist and I get very upset with myself when I can't meet the goals I set for myself" as a weakness? You gotta make it more subtle, like, "I get too many paper cuts." It's work-related, yet it doesn't reflect badly on your qualifications or motivation.

One thing is for sure: if you're me, being yourself is the last thing you wanna do at an interview. Hell, I find it funny to call Burn Surgery "Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn* Surgery" and laugh at people with the first name "Dorcus" because I think it's Latin for dork. Not the level of maturity most employers are looking for.

* Watch That 70's Show if you don't get this part.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?