Tuesday, May 17, 2005

 

Who elected these bitches?

In a House committee hearing on the Twins-Hennepin County Stadium bill yesterday, an amendment to hold a referendum on the tax increase in Hennepin was defeated 10-9. Strong opponents of the referendum said things to the effect of:

"Ours is a representative democracy. We can't hold referenda every time we undertake a major project. We're elected officials and so are the Hennepin county board members. The people put us here to get things done. If we hold a referendum, this is never going to pass."

Excusez moi, est-ce que je suis aux les Étas-Unis? J’ai pensé Ok I’ll cut the French, but am I in the wrong country? I thought this was America, home of the Freedom Fries®. With evidence of much controversy and great public concern about a tax increase to fund the stadium, the kind of view expressed above strikes me as a very cute coverup. It's like saying to the voters, "We know you don't want this, so we're not gonna ask lest you say no." See the tautology?

Comments:
Yep, those damn legislators who carry the "we know better than you what is good for you" pisses me off too.

Who were those 2 women?
 
I used "bitches" as a gender-neutral term ;) I think pretty much everybody shared this attitude, more or less, except for a handful who seemed to be making sense (of these I remember Hornstein and Lenczewski, partly because they proposed a lot of amendments; also, the Chair Mark Olson).

Dude, what happened to your blog?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?