Monday, June 06, 2005

 

Um ... that's not the word you're looking for, Mr. President

dis·sem·ble (d-smbl)
v. tr.
  1. To disguise or conceal behind a false appearance.
  2. To make a false show of; feign.
In a press conference on May 31, when asked about Amnesty International's "gulag" comment, the President said the allegations by detainees at Guantanamo were not reliable because these are people who hate America, who've been trained to "disassemble".

Huh? Disassemble as in Ikea?

In all fairness, the President helpfully clarified what he meant. Here's the full quote:

"It seemed like to me they based some of their decisions on the word of -- and the allegations -- by people who were held in detention, people who hate America, people that had been trained in some instances to disassemble -- that means not tell the truth."

Aaaahhh, I see. He meant dissemble, as in "The current administration has repeatedly dissembled key information about Guantanamo in the face of mounting criticism of practices at the prison."

Ivy League hangs its head in shame.

By the way, I took the LSAT today. I have a really good feeling about it, which I owe partly to the people who advised me to go in with a winner's attitude. Actually, I went in with more of a "pompous ass" attitude: I looked at each test-taker around me and assured myself, "I am better than you," in order to keep myself calm while we waited for the test to begin. Helped tremendously.

Now that the LSAT is out of the way, I have more time to ... fill out applications and work on my personal statement! Yayyy!! As a coworker of mine said: Life is a bitch and then you die.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?